- Go to wordpress.com.
- Click “Get Started”.
- Step 1: Sign in with Google. You can use your school or personal email. My suggestion would be to use your personal gmail so that you can continue to make use of this website after you graduate!
- Step 2: Click “Blog”.
- Step 3: Type “Writing” into the search bar and press “Continue”.
- Step 4: Type your last name, your first name, and “wws”. For example, Matthew Halter would look like “haltermatthewwws”.
- Step 5: Choose your style.
- Step 6: Click on “Select” next to the FREE domain name option.
- Step 7: Click “Start with a free site” at the top.
- Congrats! Your account and site should be ready to go!
Setting Up The Site
- Update your Homepage. Click “Try It”.
- Use Google to find a wide image that can serve as a theme for your site. You will add this image to the Home Page of the site via the “Featured Image” tab on the right side of the screen. Since this website will be a blog about writing, you have two options. Pick either a picture having to do with writing OR pick something you are passionate about and can connect to the writing process throughout your blogging. For example, Mr. Halter loves to travel and might pick his favorite location, Glacier National Park, to be the focus of his writing. He would pick a picture to use on his home page and would then make sure to connect stories and ideas from his time in Glacier National Park to each of his blog posts.
- Next, delete the text box that says “Welcome to My New Blog” by clicking on the text box and pressing delete.
- Click “Update” in the top write, wait, and then click the back arrow in the website.
- Click “Checklist” on the left side of the page and click “Create a tagline”. Please change your site title to reflect what your site actually is. For example, Mr. Halter would name his “Mr. Halter’s Thoughts on Writing”.
- Add a tagline. What is a tagline? The tagline is the sales hook, the most compelling message on your home page. Why should readers follow your writing? What value do you bring to the world through your blog? For example, Mr. Halter would use “Learn to write, people!”
- Click “Save Settings” in the top right of the page and then click “Checklist” on the left side of the page.
- Click “Launch Site”. Step 1: Skip Purchase. Step 2: Continue with your free site. Step 3: Site is launched and ready for use!
Making The Site Yours
- Click on “My Site” in the top right of the page.
- Use the navigation menu on the left to manage your site. There are a number of different menu items, but right now just focus on one!
- THEMES: Click on “Free” to the right of the search bar. Scroll down through the theme options and preview the options that catch your eye until you find YOURS. Do this by clicking on the three small dots and clicking on “Live demo”. When you find YOURS, click on “Try and Customize”.
- As we continue through this course, Mr. Halter will assist you in customizing and improving your blog site. If you are new to blogging, that’s great. This will be a great tool for you to learn and use in the future, especially with the ever-growing use of technology in every aspect of our lives. The more skills you have with technology and writing, the more marketable you will be when trying to obtain your dream career!
- If you are looking for more ideas for working on your site (before Mr. Halter gets to it), watch the video below for some tips and tricks.