Day 4 in Warwick/Stratford-Upon-Avon by Mackenzie Gibson

After finally getting a restful sleep, I woke up to the sound of my roommates fighting over the bathroom. Don’t worry, they are good friends. Just not too good at sharing. Mrs. Motter came into our room a few minutes later with a huge grin on her face saying “It’s Shakespeare Day!” over and over again. We eventually headed down to breakfast around 7:10am to begin the day. I had your typical breakfast food like eggs, yogurt, cereal, etc. I am usually in the mood for coffee but I decided to mix it up a little and got a hot chocolate. Oh my goodness, it was the best hot chocolate I’ve ever had! It had the perfect mix of cream and chocolate.

The bus then left at around 8:15am for a two hour drive to the Warwick Castle. I spent the entire drive sleeping. I think I was asleep from the moment the bus started to the moment it stopped at the castle. When we got off the bus my tour group and I went straight to the middle of the castle courtyard. I decided to brake off from my original group, my mom, just to shake things up a bit. I went with one of my roommates and her friends from the other group tour and I couldn’t be happier with my decision. I made some really good friends that I can’t wait to hang out with more. We first visited the Guy Tower and it had the most amazing view. The only downside was that it was 500 steps up, but I probably need the exercise anyway.

After walking around and exploring more of the castle, we decided to watch some jousting. Unfortunately, when we went over there no one was there so we were a little disappointed we couldn’t see it. We just decided to get some lunch instead. We stopped at a place called The Burger Kitchen. I decided to get the kids meal which included a cheeseburger, fries, and a soda. Other than the fries not having any salt on them, the meal was delicious and I really enjoyed it.

While we were eating lunch, my roommate decided to feed some ducks. She loves animals and if she could pet everyone she saw, she would. And she definitely tried. After feeding the ducks some of her fries, she tried to pet them then proceeded to try and grab one of them. If Paul our bus driver would let her, she would have brought one of them on the bus with us. Thankfully a local come over and calmly explained to her how bad french fries are for the ducks. She felt so bad she almost cried. We began to take her on a walk and she found a little hole in the wall and decided to climb in it. She immediately felt better.

Around 1:30pm we got on the bus to go visit Ann Hathaway, Shakespeare’s wife’s cottage. It was surrounded by a beautiful garden. I thought it was interesting how, in Shakespeares will, he left Ann his second best bed–to be able to display that you have enough money for more than one bed is a sign of wealth. Many believe she got very lucky. My new friends and I got the chance to take a nice good group photo in the gardens around the cottage. Even though it was raining, it was still very fun. The rain didn’t effect the look of anything. If anything, it made the garden colors stand out more.

Since we got to visit Shakespeares wife’s house, we got to visit his birthplace. We had a nice little walking tour throughout the house. When we got done with that, we were able to watch actors act out a little bit of Shakespeares ‘Romeo and Juliet’. As an aspiring actress myself, I thought the performance was great. When the tour ended, my mom and I decided to go into a coffee shop since it was still raining outside. I ordered raspberry tea and we shared and dessert from the shop. Just like most of the food here, it was very good. Although, I usually put honey in my tea since it is too watery for me but they provided sugar so it wasn’t too bad.

My mom and I didn’t do too much other than the coffee shop since most things closed at 5pm or 6pm. Although, we did manage to go into a few shops and had a nice walk in the rain. At around 6:30pm we headed to the hotel and had dinner. We ate pasta and rice. It tasted pretty good and I went up for seconds. This trip has been so much fun so far, and I can’t wait for Oxford tomorrow!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s